How to Care for Human Hair Wigs and Hairpieces
Posted on November 02 2020
No matter your reason for wearing a wig or hairpiece, choosing one of the many amazing pieces we have available will provide you with the confidence boost you’re looking for. That said, much like with normal hair, human hair wigs and hairpieces require regular maintenance to keep them healthy and beautiful. If you’ve recently purchased your own wig or are looking into buying one now, here are some helpful tips on human hair wig care.
Storage and Safety
When you’re not wearing your wig, it needs a safe place to stay so that it avoids any potential damage. The best way to store your wig is to either store it on a mannequin or place it on a hook where the hair will be allowed to remain upright and free. You should also cover your wig up to make sure that it does not pick up any contaminants like dust while it is resting. The better you care for it, the longer it will last!
Human Hair Wig Care: Washing Your Wigs and Hairpieces
When you’re first learning how to care for a human hair wig, the most important thing to learn about is washing your wig. As a general rule, it’s best to wash your wig or hairpiece once every week to two weeks. Wigs should be maintained, but washing your wig does shorten its lifespan, so it’s important that it is done only when necessary and that washing your wig is done with great care.
Although human hair wig care can sound daunting, washing your wigs and hairpieces can be quite easy!
- Use your fingers or a wide-tooth comb to remove any tangles or knots. (Brushing your hair can damage it, so it’s best to use only these tools.)
- Place your wig under running water, making sure to avoid any drains or hard water so that your hair does not become damaged in the process.
- Once your hair is sufficiently wet, take a small amount of shampoo and gently work it through your hair. The best shampoo for human hair wigs is one designed specifically for human hair wig care.
- Rinse out your wig thoroughly, squeezing your hair gently to release excess water.
- Apply your conditioner, follow the directions on the bottle, and gently rinse out the conditioner and squeeze your hair.
- Once your hair has been washed, do not use a hairdryer and brush! Instead, gently apply a towel to help you remove some of the excess moisture and leave it to dry on a wig stand. Drying it with a hair dryer can cause your wig’s cap to expand and the brush can damage the hair.
As long as you follow the steps outlined above, human hair wig care will be simple and efficient!
Styling Your Wigs
Styling can be tricky as heat can still be harsh on human hair wigs. It’s always best to play it safe and to reach out to a professional if you’re unsure what is safe and what is not for your wigs. If you plan on putting your wigs through any chemical processes, let a professional hair stylist take care of these processes to avoid any potential damage.
Receiving your first human hair wig can be exciting, but many new owners may not know what to do next. Fortunately, FabysWigs has you covered when it comes to human hair wig care! Once you find the right natural hair wig for you, follow the directions above to keep your new hair clean and protected. Shop now to get started on your personal beauty journey!